Department of Weed Science
|Name of Department:
Department of Weed Science
Faculty of Crop Protection Sciences
Weed Science Department is the first of its kind in the country to accept the challenge of combating weeds menace on scientific footings. Weed Science Department was added into the galaxy of departments at the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Agricultural University, Peshawar during the year 2000. In a very short time of ten years, with the consistent efforts of its Pioneer Chairman Prof. Dr. Khan Bahadar Marwat (presently Vice Chancellor) and his Team, the department rose up at the top among the departments at this university in terms of PhD produced, projects earned, papers published in the Impact Factor and HEC recognized journals, conferences organized, international conferences attended and foreign scholarships earned by the faculty. These distinctions have bestowed national and international recognition to this department.
For the professional coordination, it is the headquarters of the Weed Science Society of Pakistan (WSSP) and recently the Asian-Pacific Weed Science Society- an international society of Asia-Pacific region.
The major areas of studies in the department are Weed Management, Weed Biology and Ecology, Weed Physiology, Herbicide Resistance, Biodiversity, Ethnobotany, Allelopopathy and Invasive weeds.
The HEC recognized journal; Pakistan Journal of Weed Science Research is an official publication of the Weed Science Society of Pakistan (WSSP), is being published from this Department. The Department is also credited to coordinate with World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF)Pakistan by establishing their resource center in the Department.
In collaboration with the Weed Science Society of Pakistan, the Department has been the organizer for the first International Weed Science Conference 2003, 6th National Weed Science Conference 2005, 2nd International Weed Science Conference 2006, 8th National Weed Science Conference 2007, 9th National Weed Science Conference 2008, 22nd Asia Pacific Weed Science Society Conference 2010 and the 3rd International Weed Science Conference 2011.
Information relating to the Department, WSSP and Society's official publications is available at the WSSP's official website: www.wssp.org.pk
The Department of Weed Science has been competitive enough to earn the following projects:
- International linkage project on Parthenium, among the Department of Weed Science, Department of Mycology and Plant Pathology, Punjab University Lahore and the University of Queensland, Australia funded by HEC.
- Integrated Weed Management in Chickpea funded by HEC.
- Non Chemical Weed Management in Maize funded by HEC.
- Weed Science Dormancy sponsored by PARC under ALP.
- Management of Parasitic Weed sponsored by PARC under ALP.
- Integrated Weed Management in Wheat sponsored by Pakistan Science Foundation, Islamabad.
- Studies on Biology, Ecology and Management of Wild Oats sponsored by HEC, Islamabad.
- Integrated Weed Management in Chickpea sponsored by Pakistan Science Foundation, Islamabad.
Department of Weed Science.
Phone Office: + 92 91 9221032
Fax: + 92 91 9216520
Mobile: + 92 333 9107658
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing Address: Department of Weed Science, Agricultural University Peshawar, 25130, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan.